Lutheran Reformation 2017
Save the Date!
Sunday, October 15, 2017, 7pm
“Soli Deo Gloria” (Glory to God Alone)
Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
To honor the 500th anniversary of the Reformation we will celebrate with a community hymn festival: “500 Voices for 500 Years.” This event will be a combined effort among churches from both the LCMS Kansas and Missouri districts to offer a Reformation hymn festival in Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. I encourage you to make plans now to join us for this special event as together we:
- Glorify God through music.
- Encourage one another in the faith by singing hymns. The Scriptures bid us to do so: “…singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 5:19-20 NRSV). And again, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word and deed, do everything in the name of our Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him” (Colossians 3:16-17 NRSV).
- Proclaim the Gospel to the Kansas City metropolitan community.
- Help create new Lutheran hymn texts and choral anthems.
- Encourage and support the training of young church musicians.
Ben A. Spalding
Chair, Worship Planning Committee
Director of Music and the Arts