Ministry Description: Youth Family Minister (YFM)
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt Employee
Classification: Called Professional
Hours: 40 hours per week
Accountable to: *currently under discussion
Accountable for: Primary focus on ministry to youth and their families
This person will possess strong skills in working with middle school youth, high school youth and their families. This person should also be familiar with the Sustainable Youth Ministry model and possess the ability to implement this model. Strong leadership skills, organizational skills, communication skills, attention to details, and ability to build relationships with others is a must. This person will work closely with the Children Family Minister (CFM) to ensure ministry continuity across ages. They will be an integral part of the Growing Core ministry at Trinity. The YFM will be the first chair staff person for youth programs and activities and work as second chair alongside the CFM in Children Family Ministry areas. The YFM will office at the Shawnee campus, but will serve in ministry at both campuses.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Nurture a growing life of discipleship among students, so that they come to know Jesus, follow him more completely, and know how to share his grace with others
- Build relationships with youth, and facilitate the process of youth developing relationships with other youth, with their parents, and with other adults.
- Promote and implement Sustainable Youth Ministry model
- Resource and equip parents as faith influence in the life of youth, utilizing other church ministries as a resource
- Determine and implement Youth curriculum for Sunday School, Youth Nights, and other study opportunities
- Further develop Faith Milestones for Middle School and High School Youth, in conjunction with the CFM
- Develop and lead Sunday Youth Nights for High School Youth
- Organize, develop and lead youth trips and retreats – Confirmation retreat, High School retreat, Lutheran Valley Retreat, mission trips, National Youth Gathering, etc.
- Work to develop opportunities for youth to serve within the congregation, such as youth praise band, ushering, etc.
- Develop service opportunities for youth families
- Work as a second chair with CFM on VBS, children’s Sunday School, and other children’s ministry opportunities
- Identify and develop volunteers in youth ministry areas
- Attend a weekly meeting with the Growing Core
- Attend meetings with staff as needed.
- Communicate clearly with youth, families, and the broader congregation, utilizing existing church communication tools as well as social media opportunities
Financial resources are expected to be managed with accuracy, prudence and accountability and operate within the established parameters. The YFM will work with the Growing Core youth budget items, and help to shape yearly budget for youth ministry.
This person must be willing to become a member of Trinity, and fully invested in the mission of Trinity. This person will be a rostered church worker with the LCMS, such as a Director of Christian Education. If this person is not rostered, they must complete a colloquy program to become rostered with the LCMS within five years.
Evaluation will be on an ongoing basis in staff meetings and in private conversations. An initial review will occur within 90 days. A more formal written evaluation will be completed once each year. Performance will be based on degree and quality of completing the job description plus any additional goals agreed upon at the beginning of the evaluation year. Compensation adjustments will be based on quality and quantity of work performed and the overall value that the individual brings to the organization.
Employees are expected to make a good faith effort to conduct themselves in a friendly and professional manner at all times. Biblical standards are the overarching guidelines we will adhere to in our private and professional lives.