LCMS members throughout Kansas are encouraged to contact their state legislators regarding a soon to be proposed amendment to the state constitution regarding abortion. Please read the information below and continue to pray for your legislators, unborn children, and women and families facing unplanned pregnancies.
“Reverse the Ruling,” Keep Life-saving Limits on Abortion
Why do we need to amend the Kansas Constitution?
- The Kansas Supreme Court earlier this year created a nearly unlimited “right to abortion” in our 1859 State Constitution.
- The people, through their elected representatives, have lost the ability to place life-saving limits on the abortion industry.
- The proposed amendment will reverse the court’s ruling and keep life-saving limits on the abortion industry in place.
What specifically will the amendment do?
The amendment will reverse the ruling and ensure that life-saving limits on the abortion industry stay in place:
- Prohibiting taxpayer funded abortions.
- Ban on late-term and partial-birth abortions.
- Requiring parental notification and consent for minors seeking an abortion.
- Protecting women by requiring basic safety standards at clinics.
- Ensuring women receive information on health risks and fetal development.
- 24hr waiting period.
What needs to happen to “Reverse the Ruling?”
The Kansas Legislature must approve a Constitutional Amendment with a 2/3rds vote in the House and Senate. Kansas voters must then approve the measure at the ballot box. Legislation to “Reverse the Ruling” will be introduced when the state legislature reconvenes in January.
What will the proposed constitutional amendment NOT do?
- The amendment will not ban all abortions.
- Birth control and IVF will not be outlawed.
- The proposed amendment will not prevent exceptions for rape, incest, or life of the mother.
- As is the current case, women will not be prosecuted for obtaining an abortion.
How can I encourage passage of the proposed constitutional amendment?
- Contact your legislators. Find your legislators at OpenStates.org or call the Kansas Legislature’s Hotline at 1-800-432-3924. Email or leave them a message urging them to pass a constitutional amendment reversing the Supreme Court’s ruling.
- Go to Kansans For Life and sign the on-line petition.
- Pray for your legislators, for unborn children, for women and families dealing with unplanned pregnancies.